View one of the largest bat colonies at the Frio Bat Cave
The Frio Bat Cave is one of the incredible natural attractions that draw travelers to the charming town of Concan in the Texas Hill Country. The cave is an essential home to Texas’ largest colony of Mexican free-tailed bats. Frio Country Resort has a stunning selection of Concan cabin rentals, RV sites, and vacation home rentals on the Frio River for our resort guests. October 2023 and April 2024 are great times to book your stay to enjoy the Frio Bat Cave solar eclipse tours.
Texas is the best place to see bats in the United States
Texas is among the best places to see 32 of the 47 bat species in the U.S. Before you head out to explore the Frio Bat Cave, though, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Give the bats their space while emerging from the Frio Bat Cave to avoid collisions.
- Never touch one of the bats. Wild animals can bite when they feel threatened, and there is a slight chance they could have rabies.
- Please don’t use bright lights around the bats. This might distract the bats, leaving them vulnerable to predators and other dangers.
- Bats at the Frio Bat Cave have state law protection. Please do not bother them by throwing objects or poking them.
- Keep your voice low while you’re around the bats. They can be sensitive to loud noises.
Sign up for one of the Frio Bat Cave tour options
The Frio Bat Cave is an essential habitat for the mother Mexican free-tailed bats to give birth and raise their young. You can view the emergence of the largest colony of Mexican free-tailed bats in Texas with one of the Frio Bat Cave tour options:
- Solar Eclipse Tours: The Frio Bat Cave is directly in the path of the Annular Solar eclipse. The following upcoming dates for Annular Solar Eclipses are October 14, 2023, and the total Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024. The Frio Bat Cave’s location on top of a hill provides a stunning and unobstructed view of solar eclipse events.
- Frio Bat Cave Tours: Watch 10 to 12 million Mexican Free-tailed Bats fly from the Frio Bat Cave. The guide will offer you a rain check if the bats don’t emerge from the cave.